QUESTION: What are the benefits of printing with Nylon filament?
ANSWER: There are a great number of benefits to printing with nylon, including:
- Nylon generally is very strong. Properly printed, a nylon print can have a strength that comes close to aluminum.
- Nylon has a low co-efficient of friction and good abrasion resistance. Because of that, it can be very durable.
- Nylon also has an excellent strength to flexibility ratio.
- There’s very little warpage.
- Nylon is easily coloured/dyed. This is because, while it absorbs water, a positive side-effect is that it can do the same for dyes.
- Very few rough edges after the print is complete. As a result, it produces smooth end products with little need for post-processing.
- UV resistant and higher chemical resistance than PLA or ABS.
Nylon also has a few more requirements than some other filaments.
- Nylon is hydroscopic, which means that it can absorb water and so must be kept dry before printing
- Nylon requires a higher extruder temperatures (260 degrees +)
- Nylon requires adhesion and a heated bed.
Taulman is widely recognized as being the leader in manufacturing and providing high quality nylon filament. They have produced a number of lab-tested nylon filaments, enhancing certain aspects – like strength and durability – offering a wide selection of nylon filaments to better suit different uses.